THIS DEAL HAS EXPIRED. Welcome offer has reverted to 40,000. We are leaving the expired details on this page as a reference for comparison for future deals.
EXPIRED: Amex has recently increased the welcome offer for the American Express® Green Card from 45,000 to 60,000. The welcome offer applies after spending $3,000 in the first 6 months of being approved for the card. Plus, earn 20% back on eligible travel and transit purchases made during your first 6 months of Card Membership, up to $200 back in the form of a statement credit. This card has an annual fee of: $150. For rates and fees of the American Express® Green Card, please visit [link]. Terms apply.
One of the main reasons why you may want this card is that Amex Membership Rewards® has a different set of airline/hotel point-transfer partners than Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
Of note: Delta, Finnair, Qantas, Asia Airlines, Etihad, SAS, Hilton, and Radisson are transfer-partners available on Amex Membership Rewards® that aren’t available on Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
The card has the following 3x point categories:
Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on travel including airfare, hotels, cruises, tours, car rentals, campgrounds, and vacation rentals.
Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on transit purchases including trains, taxicabs, rideshare services, ferries, tolls, parking, buses, and subways.
Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the US.
There are a few things to point out about this deal:
- This is the highest public welcome offer that we’ve seen for this card.
- As I mentioned earlier, this card allows you to transfer points to airline and hotel programs. This gives you more flexibility on which airlines and hotels you use for reward travel.
- Chase currently had a competing offer for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card: THIS CHASE OFFER HAS EXPIRED.
80,000 Ultimate Rewards® points after $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of being approved for their card. We think the Chase deal is better if you regularly fly United and stay at Hyatt hotels, as they are not point-transfer partners with Amex Membership Rewards®. Their offer is ending at 5/25 at 9:00 AM EST.
- The point-transfer partners that I think are worth mentioning are: Asia Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Emirates, Etihad, Finnair, Air France, KLM, Iberia, Qantas, SAS, Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, Radisson Rewards. Several of these point-transfer partners aren’t available on Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- To receive the welcome offer, you must spend $3000 or more in the first 6 months after you receive you are approved for the card.
- This card has an annual fee of: $150
- This welcome offer is not available if you have received a previous welcome offer for this card. Several bloggers have reported that they were able to get the bonus for the same card after 7-years, but that’s a very long time (link:forbes.com).
- Amex will likely deny your application if you have more than 5 or more Amex cards, or 10 or more cards total.
- If you get denied and you have good credit, call their reconsideration hotline: 1-877-399-3083 (if you are a new account holder) / 1-866-314-0237 (if you are a current account holder). Calling may not change the outcome, but there is a chance it will. You’ll also be able to get better insight in why your application was denied.